Zafar Mahal, Red Fort

The Zafar Mahal lies in the Hayat Bakhsh Bagh between the two pavilions, Sawan and Bhadon. This structure was constructed during the reign of Bahadur Shah II in 1842 and named after him. This pavilion stands in the middle of a pre-existing water tank. It is made out of red sandstone, which was cheaper than white marble. Originally a red sandstone bridge led into the pavilion, which was probably lost after the Rebellion of 1857. After the occupation in 1857, the tank was used for a while as a swimming pool by the British troops that lived in the barracks built for them seen in the background

Zafar Mahal, Red Fort
CONTRIBUTOR
Anamit Sen
Anamit Sen
SIZEDIMENSIONPRICE
1000 x 667 20 USD
3000 x 2000 39 USD
3312 x 2208 53 USD
Media Details
Buildings & Architecture
web and print
jpeg
129517
3312 x 2208
More from Anamit Sen
Pasta Meal
Pasta Meal
Garden Birds, Spotted Dove
Spotted Dove